In 1956 in Sumy, in the regional center of Ukraine, according to the Government decision a Special Design Bureau of Feed Water Pumps - SDB-FWP - was established in order to solve in a short time the problem pertaining to national economy – development and implementation of powerful feed water, condensate and heating system pump units, for putting into operation in the USSR of large-size hydro-electric power stations (HEPS) and heat-electric generating plants (HEGP), under construction.
The name of the first engineering manager of SDB-FWP Serhiy Serhiyovych Serikov, a graduate of Leningrad Polytechnical Institute, a brilliant specialist, manager and person, will always remain in the history of our organization. The ideas that he worked out as to ways of branch development and design details of the pumps greatly influenced the destiny of SDB-FWP: increase of volume of works being fulfilled, their complexity and importance for the country stipulated transformation of Bureau into Ukrainian branch of VNDIGidromash.
In the late 1960’s the branch was involved in implementation of works connected with design of pumping equipment for nuclear power plants with power generating units of single-unit power of 440 thousand, 1 and 1.5 million kW. It was our organization that has developed all the pumps for Leningrad nuclear power plant (NPP) – the first NPP in the USSR with power units RBMK of 1000MW.
In 1970 UkrVNDIGidromash was reorganized into All-Union Research and Design Institute for Atomic and Power Pumpbuilding.
Since 1974 the Institute has been located on the new place, where in those days one of the largest in Europe experimental and research bases together with an administrative building had been built.
In 1992 VNIIAEN was appointed the head organization of Ukraine in the field of pump engineering. Technical Committee for standardization of TK-21 “Positive displacement and rotordynamic pumps” is established and functioning on the basis of the Institute.
Since 1993 the test center of VNIIAEN has been accredited for its technical competence in Certification Systems UkrSEPRO and ĂÎŃŇ Đ with the right to perform all kinds of tests including certification tests (Accreditation Certificate No. ŃŃNŔ UA.001.22.N173).
In 1997 VNIIAEN entered the List of Companies that are of Strategic Importance for Economy and National Security (Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine No. 911 dated 21.08.1997 and No. 1346 dated 29.08.2000).
Since the year 2000 “VNIIAEN” has been reorganized into a joint-stock company without changing the name.
In 2002 JSC “VNIIAEN” was registered as a collaborative member of Technical Committee for standardization TK-79 “Atomic Power” (Registration Statement).
In 2006 the test center of JSC “VNIIAEN” was included in the State Register of scientific facilities that form the national resources (Instruction No.665-Đ dd. 27 December 2006).
In 2008 JSC “VNIIAEN” was included to the State Register of scientific institutions to be provided with State support (Certificate of Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine ÍÄ No. 01138 dated 31.12.2008).
In 2012 JSC “VNIIAEN” has been appointed a leading organization in the field of research, development and implementation of scientific, technical and design production in pump engineering (Letter No.1/06-2-692 from State Agency for Science, Innovation and Informatization of Ukraine dated 12.10.2012).
In 2014 JSC “VNIIAEN” quality management system was certified by DEKRA certification center to the requirements of international standards of ISO 9001:2008 series (Quality Management System Certificate).
In 2014 according to Decision Point of State enterprise “National Nuclear Energy Generating Company “Energoatom” (“NNEGC "Energoatom”), JSC “VNIIAEN” has become its approved vendor to conduct to its orders a series of works that are the Institute’s core activities (Decision on Approved Vendor No. ĐŘ-Ď 0.22.081-15 dated 28.09.2015).